Sunday, September 16, 2012

Is there a cure for Lyme Disease?

What's taking you so long to to get better?  Isn't there a CURE for Lyme Disease?  
Those of us with Chronic Lyme get asked questions like this all the time.  In this blog post I share my thoughts on why treatment is a long process and why we there isn't a magic pill that will cure us.

When we hear the word cure we tend to think about illnesses where we get easily diagnosed, the course of action is known and the results are predictable, like if someone gets pink eye, or pneumonia, or ringworm or some other such thing.  In those cases there is a clear cut diagnosis, treatment plan and a high success rate therefore we think of them as having a "cure".  Because each case of Lyme Disease is so different, it's still be researched, is only barely understood and it is so very complex, there is not one treatment plan that works almost all of the time for almost all of the people, therefore no "cure".

Most of us with Lyme believe that after it has become chronic it is impossible to get rid of every single borellia bacterium in the body, but that's not required in order to be better and get your life back.  What we are seeking, in most cases, is a lessening of infection and a strengthening of our immune system until we reach a point where our body can handle and take care of any small amount of infection that may have been hiding out.  This is one more reason the Lyme community will say there is no "cure".

There is however every reason to believe you can and will get your health and your life back.  I know two people who have rid themselves of the lyme and co.  One of them is very high functioning and you would never know she was sick if you met her now.  The other is still working on other heath issues that she likely would have had even without the Lyme.

Lyme has become an umbrella term and we must deal with the entire puzzle in order to achieve total wellness.  When someone has chronic Lyme what they really have is a random assortment of tick-born infections, opportunistic infections like yeast, parasites, and MarCons, as well as heavy metals, high levels of toxins, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and a laundry list of conditions, like adrenal fatigue, that have resulted from every single bodily system being affected by this illness.  The complexity of this disease, the unique ways it presents in each person, are part of the reason treatment takes so long why there isn't a cure. 

I am getting myself very close to being able to say that I no longer harbor any tick infections, but I am still dealing with the havoc that it has caused in my body.  I am VERY toxic and still fighting off several other infections that were opportunistic after the lyme weakened my immune system.  My test results are getting better and my good days are improving, but there is still a lot of work to be done and I often feel similar to how I did when I had high levels of tick infections.  I will likely always need to maintain a restricted diet, take a few supplements, and treat my body extra well in order to be sure that I never end up here again.  But for now, I can say that there are days where I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Keep fighting the good fight everyone.

Questions, comments, and words of encouragement are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...