Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Gluten Free Scones

I just whipped up a batch of gluten free scones.  I've been craving them for weeks now and finally I pulled out my 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes cook book and got to work.

I had to use what was available in my kitchen and I modified a recipe, but what I came up with was super delicious.

Sour Cherry and Lemon Gluten Free Scones

Ingredients:
1/3 C. butter or Earth Balance (I used Earth Balance)
1 T. grated lemon zest
1 large egg room temp.
1/3 C. of sugar
1/2 C. milk or milk substitute (I used rice milk)
1 1/2 C. flour blend * see below
1/2 C. Tapioca flour
1T. Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1tsp. guar gum
1tsp. salt
handful of dried sour cherries

** Make a batch of Carol's Sorghum Blend.  This can be used in place of all purpose flour in many recipes.  It is used a lot in this cook book so I often make double batches to have it ready when I want to bake.
  • 1 1/2 C sorghum flour
  • 1 1/2 C potato/corn starch
  • 1 C tapioca flour 
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper
  3. in food processor (I used a stand mixer) process butter, zest, egg, and sugar until blended
  4. Mix together all dry ingredients
  5. Add milk, and all dry ingredients to wet ones and mix until just blended.  Dough will be very sticky.
  6. Add in dried cherries to your hearts content.
  7. Use a wet rubber spatula to spread the dough onto the cookie sheet until it's about 3/4" thick.  Make the edges straight if possible.
  8. optional: brush the top with 2T of cream and sprinkle with 1T sugar (I skipped this)
  9. Bake for 20 minutes
  10. use a firm spatula to cut the dough into 8-10 pieces, spread across baking sheet and continue baking for 10 more minutes
  11. Optional: glaze with 1C powdered sugar and 2T lemon juice mixed together (I also skipped this and mine were plenty sweet)
I ate mine piping hot and topped with Earth Balance and two jellies, apricot fruit spread from Santa Cruz Organic and a homemade cherry strawberry from Happy Girl Kitchen Co.  I try to limit the amount of sugar I consume so I skipped adding and extra to the top and they were plenty sweet for me.  My husband declared them as his new favorite pastry.

Now go and make some scones and them come back and tell me how your turned out and what changes you made to accomidate your diet and the flavors you had laying around your kitchen.

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...