Wednesday, May 5, 2010

You won't "get it" until you get it and I hope that you don't

It's hard living with a disease that effects my life in so many ways. It's even harder when it seems as though the legitimacy of my my experience is questioned along with the way I handle it. I often feel as though people think I should be doing something different with my life right now or that if they were me they'd go about it in a different way, that somehow they'd be tougher, stronger, more resilient.

I understand this because they aren't in my shoes, they can't possibly know. When viewed from a place of health it is much easier to imagine how hard you would fight if you were sick or tired or ill. The reality of what I experience can not be known by them. The many little struggles and battles that I fight just to be where I am today can never be know by someone who hasn't walked in my shoes. You won't get it until you get it and I hope you don't. I really hope you don't.

I also hope that those who have a loved one with Lyme Disease or any other chronic illness would take the time to try to understand that person's unique journey and trust that at any given time we're all doing our personal best.

Below is a link to a letter written by Elizabeth Chalker who is VERY sick with Lyme Disease. Her pain and suffering is much worse then my own. I have experienced many of the things she speaks about, to a lesser extent, and want to share this letter with you. She expresses her self better then I imagine I can. Please take the time to read it and know that I have come a long way this last year and am always working toward my personal best. I couldn't imagine doing anything less.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/miscellaneous/Chalker-Understand.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...